INDIANA PERSONAL PROTECTION PERMIT (HANDGUN LICENSE)
Below are the requirements that must be met to apply on-line for an Indiana Personal Protection Permit. As of October 1, 2014 all applications must be completed on line at the following address: https://firearms.ariesportal.com
1. You must live or work within the city limits of Evansville to apply at the Evansville Police Department (EPD). If you live outside the city limits you must apply with the agency of that jurisdiction.
2. If you have a current Handgun License, you may apply within 180 days of your present expiration date. If current license is within 30 days of expiration date, the existing license is automatically extended upon payment to local jurisdiction. Every initial application for any handgun license shall be granted or rejected by the Indiana State Police after the application is filed with the Evansville Police Department (EPD) and fingerprinted at Advanced Specimen Collection (formerly called Morphotrust or L-1).
3. You must be at least 18 years of age and US citizen. Provide documents and/or passport if born outside of the United States when paying local fee at EPD. This will assist Homeland Security to justify your US citizenship.
4. Applicant must have a "CREDIT CARD" (YOUR BANK DEBIT/CREDIT CARD WILL DELAY PROCESSING) and "EMAIL ADDRESS" to complete application on line. Indiana State Police Firearms (ISPF) notifies you by email for additional information.
5. You must complete the ISPF application on-line at http://firearms.ariesportal.com answering in full each and every question/inquiry.
6. Submitting false information or deliberate omissions will be grounds to deny the approval of your application.
7. Once the ISPF application is submitted on line, you must set up an appointment at Advanced Specimen Collection (formerly called Morphotrust or L-1) @ 1-877-472-6917 along with their fee for processing your fingerprints. Advanced Specimen Collection is located in business complex behind Grandy’s Restaurant off of First Avenue).
2512 Waterbridge Way
Evansville IN 47710
8. After submission of your ISP firearms application on-line, and you live inside the “city” limits, your next step is to pay your local fee at the Evansville Police Department (EPD) Central Records Division, located at the Civic Center, 15 NW Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (excluding holidays). No appointment is necessary.
9. The EPD Local Application Fee is due once your application has been submitted on-line. This fee must be made by Money Order or Certified Check and should be made payable to EPD. A $2.00 cash only notary fee is charged when you sign the Local Evansville Police Department application. Your Indiana driver’s license and or identification card must have your current residence registered with the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicle.
10. Your handgun application will be held on-line by the Indiana State Police for 120 days. (If over 120 days since you completed application on line, and have not paid your local EPD fee, go back into your application and update your information before you pay your local fee.)
11. Indiana law requires an investigation into your criminal history records.
12. Once your fee has been paid to Advanced Specimen Collection and EPD, your Personal Protection Permit, when approved or disapproved by ISPF, will be mailed in “10-12” weeks.
13. The EPD Record Room can be contacted at 812-436-7956 Monday – Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, excluding holidays.
14. When traveling out of the State of Indiana, check on-line with the National Rifle Association (NRA) for confirmation of the states that recognize the Indiana Personal Handgun License.
15. The ISP Firearms Division or the NRA websites have several questions and answers that may be helpful for an applicant.
FEES FOR FIREARMS PERMITS
*A portion of the EPD local fee is refunded if a license is not issued by the Indiana State Police.
**Certain longevity requirements apply.
All fees that are listed under “EPD Local Application Fee” should have payment made out to EPD
All fees that are listed under “Indiana State Police Fee” paid on-line with "'CREDIT CARD". When mailing payment to ISPF, payment must be made with money order only.