HomeEarly EPD History
Early EPD History
In 1812, Colonel Hugh McGary, Jr., purchased a 200 acre tract of land from the federal government and built a cabin on the end of what is present day Main Street. When Warrick County was established a few years later, McGary donated 100 acres to the county with the provision McGary’s land would be appointed as the county seat. But in 1814, the territorial legislature of Indiana divided Warrick County, creating Posey County on the west and Perry County on the east. Warrick County returned the donated land to McGary, relocating the seat of county government to Darlington—no longer in existence—which was more centrally located.